Illumio Core (formerly ASP) was selected and deployed to protect 9,000 workloads across the two new data centers in two countries to meet deadlines and security requirements. The solution was aggressively tested and rolled out by the customer’s cross-functional team with key stakeholders from the application development, infrastructure, and security teams all working in concert. Unlike other available data center firewall, network segmentation, or micro-segmentation solutions, Illumio adaptive segmentation capabilities provided:
- Scalable and flexible segmentation between individual customer environments.
- A single segmentation solution for bare-metal, virtualized, on-premises, and cloud workloads.
- Application segmentation with fine-grained control between application tiers.
- Segmentation between and within production and development environments.
- Regionally specific segmentation policy to meet local regulations.
A key benefit of Illumio Core has been the ability to allow the company to move to a flatter network architecture that eliminated the use of fine-grained VLANs, network switch ACLs, and expensive high-capacity data center firewalls in every rack for security segmentation. This allowed the company to reduce costs and led to a simplified and faster network architecture that doesn’t stand in the way of application deployments or delivery. During the Illumio rollout, the team used Illumination capabilities to model, test, and visualize the impact of policy and alignment with compliance requirements.