Trademark Usage Guidelines
These Trademark Usage Guidelines (the "Guidelines") are for Illumio, Inc. or its affiliates (“Illumio”) licensees, authorized resellers, customers, clients, and other third parties interested to use Illumio’s trademarks, service marks, or trade name (collectively, the “Illumio Trademarks”). The Guidelines set forth the rules for using or referring to Illumio Trademarks owned by Illumio. Illumio Trademarks are in various forms and may include, by way of example, letters, words, logos, designs, images, slogans, colors, product shapes, product packaging, and sounds. Use of Illumio Trademarks may be prohibited, unless expressly authorized. Moreover, Illumio Trademarks shall include all registered or unregistered trademarks, including but not limited to Illumio Trademarks listed on the Illumio Trademarks List.
For licensees of Illumio Trademarks that have been provided with specific trademark usage guidelines in the license agreement, please follow those guidelines. If the licensee agreement does not include trademark usage guidelines, then follow these guidelines. All authorized Illumio resellers or members of an Illumio program may be subject to additional restrictions.
Illumio considers its trademarks and service marks to be among its most valuable intellectual property assets. As such, Illumio intends to take all appropriate measures to preserve the strength of and retain its exclusive rights to use its marks. Illumio asks that you assist us by following these Guidelines. If you have any questions about the Guidelines, please direct them to trademarks@Illumio.com.
Prohibited Uses of Illumio Trademarks
- Do not use Illumio Trademarks as the name of your company, products or services, as a domain name or social media profile. You may not use or register in any jurisdiction, whether foreign or domestic, any Illumio Trademark as all or part of your company, product, or service name in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to Illumio® sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service, or that may dilute the Illumio Trademark. Similarly, you may not use or register in any jurisdiction, whether foreign or domestic, a domain name or social media profile or name that incorporates any Illumio Trademark in bad faith or in a manner that is likely to create confusion as to Illumio's sponsorship, affiliation or endorsement of your company, product, or service.
- Do not use Illumio logos without permission. You may not use any Illumio logo unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from Illumio authorizing such use.
- Do not use Illumio Trademarks in false or misleading advertising. Advertising for Illumio or its products or services offered under the Illumio Trademarks must not be false or misleading in any way and must not be in violation of any applicable law, municipal ordinance, or administrative agency regulation of any country.
- Do not use Illumio Trademarks in objectionable material. You may not use Illumio Trademarks on or in connection with, in Illumio's sole discretion, any defamatory, scandalous, pornographic, or other objectionable materials of any sort.
- Do not use Illumio Trademarks to disparage Illumio. You may not use Illumio Trademarks to disparage Illumio, its products or services, or in a manner that, in Illumio's judgment, may diminish or otherwise damage the reputation of Illumio or the goodwill in the Illumio Trademarks.
- Do not use Illumio Trademarks as AdWords. You may not use Illumio Trademarks as or in connection with Google AdWords, AdWords Express, or any other similar online advertising service.
Permitted Uses of Illumio Trademarks
- Use Illumio Trademarks to refer to Illumio’s products or services. With the exception of Illumio logos (the use of which must be expressly authorized by Illumio), you generally may use Illumio Trademarks to refer to Illumio's products or services in advertising, promotional, and sales materials, provided that you have the necessary authority to sell or promote Illumio's products or services (e.g., authorized reseller, licensee, etc.).
A variety of channel partners sell Illumio® software.
- Use Illumio Trademarks to indicate a relationship to Illumio products. You may indicate the relationship of your products and services to Illumio's products or services by using an accurate referential phrase in connection with your product or service, for example, "for use with Illumio's software" or "compatible with Illumio's software" provided that: (a) the Illumio Trademark appears less prominent than the product or service name; (b) the Illumio Trademark is not a part of or incorporated in your product or service name; and (c) the referential phrase is accurate and complies with the requirements set forth in any license agreement with Illumio.
- Use Illumio Trademarks in publications, seminars, and conferences. You may display or refer to Illumio word marks in the titles or subject matter of books, magazines, periodicals, seminars, and conferences, subject to the following requirements:
- the use adheres to these guidelines;
- use of the Illumio word mark is necessary because it is germane to the subject matter of the publication, seminar, or conference;
- use does not damage Illumio's reputation or goodwill in its marks and reflects positively on Illumio, its products and technology;
- your name, logo, trademarks, or trade name are displayed more prominently than the Illumio word mark on all of your printed materials in connection with the publication, seminar, or conference;
Illumination’s® features allow organizations to enhance security.
- you conspicuously disclaim any and all sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by Illumio, on all publications and/or printed material in connection with the publication, seminar, or conference in the following format: "[Title] is an independent [publication, seminar, or conference] with no affiliation to, nor authorized, sponsored or otherwise approved by Illumio"; and
- you must provide a trademark attribution notice in the credit section providing notice that Illumio Corporation is the owner of its trademark(s). Please refer to "Guidelines for Proper Usage of Illumio Trademarks" below.
Guidelines for Proper Usage of Illumio Trademarks
- Proper usage of Illumio Trademarks is important for their continued protection. Proper usage aids consumers who depend upon Illumio's products and services and helps prevent Illumio Trademarks from losing their distinctiveness and becoming generic. Licensees of Illumio Trademarks may have different rules of usage set forth in their license agreement, in which case licensees should follow those guidelines.
- Set Illumio Trademarks apart from surrounding text. When an Illumio Trademark is used in a non-stylized form, such as in the body text of an advertisement, it should be set apart and distinguished from the other words in the text. In order to do this, the Illumio Trademark may be rendered in boldface type, italics, capital letters, underscored, or set in quotation marks.
- Use Illumio Trademarks as adjectives. Trademarks are adjectives and should be followed by the generic term they modify, such as "software" or "product." Never use a trademark as a noun, a verb, or in the possessive form.
- Do not abbreviate or alter the spelling of Illumio Trademarks. You should not vary the appearance of Illumio Trademarks by abbreviating them, incorporating them into acronyms, changing their spelling, or using improper capitalization. The Illumio Trademarks List provides the proper spelling and capitalization for each trademark.
- Use the proper trademark symbol. An Illumio Trademark should appear with the proper trademark symbol, which can be found on the Illumio Trademark List. In written materials, the appropriate symbol must be used with the first or most prominent appearance of the Illumio Trademark in headlines and the first time the Illumio Trademark appears in body text. The appropriate symbol also should be used on each subsequent page if the topic is different or if the pages can be separated and distributed independently. If the materials, product packaging, or web page includes a properly licensed Illumio logo, which already includes the appropriate trademark symbol, it is not necessary to include a trademark symbol after the word "Illumio" in the text in that material, product packaging, or web page.
- Use the proper trademark attribution statement. All marketing collateral, advertisements, documentation, web pages, and studies that include Illumio Trademarks also must include the proper trademark attribution statement crediting ownership of the Illumio Trademarks to Illumio. Typically, the attribution statement is displayed at the end of the material, in the footer of the document, or on the back of the package. The correct trademark attribution statement is:
Illumio, the Illumio workload logo, and [if applicable you may add any other trademarks found on the Illumio Trademark List that are referred to or displayed in the document] [is/are] trademark[s] or registered trademark[s] of Illumio, Inc. or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Usage Rules for Illumio as a Trade Name
"Illumio" functions not only as a trademark mark and service mark identifying goods and services offered by Illumio, Inc., but also as a trade name or company name referring to Illumio, Inc. Trade names are nouns and, therefore, should not be followed by a generic descriptor and may be used in the possessive form. When used as a trade name, "Illumio" should not be followed by a trademark symbol. Within documents, the first reference to the trade or company name should be "Illumio, Inc." "Illumio" can be used for subsequent references.
Usage Rules for Illumio Logos
You may not use any Illumio logo unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from Illumio authorizing such use. In the event that you are authorized to use an Illumio logo, the use must comply with these additional guidelines (or the usage guidelines set forth in your license agreement, if those guidelines differ).
- Use only the approved master artwork. The Illumio logos are single, standalone pieces of artwork. When reproducing the logos, use only the master artwork provided by Illumio. Do not alter or distort the appearance of the logo in any way; for example, by adding your own design elements or colors or changing the font. The logo must always look sharp, clean, and well produced.
- Allow a minimum clear space around the Illumio logo. Always allow for a minimum clear space around the Illumio logo. Never violate the clear space with any graphic elements, words, or charts.
- Maintain legibility. Never reproduce the logo in a manner that causes the logo to become illegible or blurry, which may happen if the logo is reproduced too small.
- Do not use Illumio logos as a decorative device. Do not use any Illumio logos for purely decorative purposes in any marketing collateral, packaging, or web site without the express written permission of Illumio.
Misuse of Illumio Trademarks by Others
If you learn of any uses of any logos, icons, or images that are confusingly similar to the Illumio Trademarks, please notify Illumio by sending an email to trademarks@Illumio.com.
Similarly, if you become aware of any use of an Illumio Trademark that violates any of the rules described above, including failure to identify Illumio Trademarks as belonging to Illumio, Inc., please notify us at trademarks@Illumio.com. If possible, please provide a copy of the article or other medium in which the trademark violation appeared.