SUNNYVALE, Calif. — February 17, 2016 — Illumio, the Adaptive Security Company, today announced it has extended the capabilities of its industry-leading Adaptive Security Platform (ASP)™ through integration with Microsoft’s Active Directory groups. The new capability, known as Adaptive User Segmentation, dynamically calculates and provisions connectivity rules based on user identity to prevent unauthorized communications with, and access to, any Illumio-protected applications. Illumio ASP now can govern how hundreds of millions of users connect to applications across data centers, clouds or hybrid-cloud compute environments.
“Illumio’s mission since our founding has been to help our customers regain control over their applications and data,” said Andrew Rubin, co-founder and chief executive officer of Illumio. “With the introduction of Adaptive User Segmentation, Illumio once again is dramatically reducing computing attack surface through dynamic, policy-driven enforcement that allows users to only connect to the data center and cloud compute they are entitled to access.”
Illumio’s Adaptive User Segmentation extends to all of these environments and delivers the most meaningful reduction in the cyber attack surface area in computing history. The company has fused governance of both workload-to-workload communications and user-to-workload communications through this technology breakthrough, strengthening the traditional entitlement model in a way never possible before today. According to statcounter.com, Windows 7—the target OS for VDI desktops/laptops connecting to the data center—accounts for just under 50 percent of all desktop operating systems in operation.
“Illumio’s new capabilities will resonate with security professionals assessing their security posture,” said Jon Oltsik, senior principal analyst, Enterprise Strategy Group. “Security leaders must deal with both sides of the user/data center equation and are well served to do it together rather than separately.”
Adaptive User Segmentation is the latest step in Illumio’s core mission to secure data anywhere it resides:
- When Illumio launched in October 2014, it introduced a complete range of adaptive segmentation models to reduce the attack surface, from environmental separation to micro-segmentation. It also introduced “MRI-like” visualizations of data center and cloud environments, as well as policy-driven transport layer encryption.
- During RSA 2015, the company introduced its nano-segmentation℠ capability, which provides process-level segmentation among both physical servers and virtual machines and reduces the surface area of server-to-server communications by over 99 percent. Illumio also extended its policy-driven segmentation model to incorporate F5 Local Traffic Manager and Application Firewall Modules.
- Later in 2015, Illumio announced partnerships with Docker and Mesosphere to extend adaptive security capabilities to fast-growing Linux container deployments.
To find out more about Illumio ASP, the company and adaptive user segmentation, visit Illumio during RSA Conference 2016 in the Moscone Center, Feb. 29–March 3.
Illumio delivers adaptive security for every computing environment, protecting the 80 percent of data center and cloud traffic missed by the perimeter. The company’s Adaptive Security Platform™ visualizes application traffic and delivers continuous, scalable, and dynamic policy and enforcement to every bare-metal server, VM, container, and VDI within data centers and public clouds. Using Illumio, enterprises such as Morgan Stanley, Plantronics, Salesforce, King Entertainment, NetSuite, and Creative Artists Agency have achieved secure application and cloud migration, environmental segmentation, compliance, and high-value application protection from breaches and threats with no changes to applications or infrastructure. For more information, visit www.illumio.com or follow us @Illumio.
- Engage with Illumio on Twitter
- Follow Illumio on LinkedIn
- Join Illumio on G+
- Subscribe to the Illumio YouTube Channel
Media and Analyst Contact